Monday, August 10, 2009

Tahitian Coconut Bread

Tahitian Coconut Bread
From the Tahitian Village in the PCC
  • 2 c. fresh grated coconut
  • 4 c. flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 c. water
Combine coconut, sugar, and water. Blend flour and baking powder together. Mix all ingredients to a doughy texture adding a little flour as needed so it is not too sticky. Separate into 5 equal parts and roll into the size of a hot dog bun. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hr. to 1 1/2 hrs.
Makes 5 loaves

Notes: Justin loved this at the PCC, so I made it (after I went to the store and bought baking powder because we haven't had any in our house since we've been married. Sad.). And it is sooooo easy! Woohoo! I actually had to add a bit of water so it would all mix. It has a great, non-american, subtle sweetness and it is not even fattening. I baked it for 1 hr 10 minutes. And I stuck coconut all over the top of them before I wrapped em just for fun.

Post Script -- If you are not planning on eating all five loaves within a few hours of baking them, then cut the recipe in half. I haven't figured out how to make it taste as good the next day.
Post Post Script -- It still tastes okay with jam. It's just super dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment