Monday, July 26, 2010

Quinoa Pilaf

I'd heard quinoa was the best grain you could eat, so I wanted to see if it tasted good. I had a hard time finding it first, but they sell it in the "healthy" section of the commissary on our base, next to the power bars and such. I got the kind that is already rinsed, since I guess you have to rinse a bitter flavor off the grains before you cook it. It makes a good substitute for rice.
Anyway, this is from Cook This, Not That! p. 294, and even my 15 month-old liked it!

Quinoa Pilaf

  • 1 c. quinoa
  • 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, minced
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 3 c. low-sodium chicken broth or water
  • 2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
  • 1/4 c. golden raisins (these make it so good!)
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley (I used dried)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Place the quinoa in a large bowl and rinse in several changes of cold water. Drain thoroughly (or buy the already rinsed kind and skip this step)
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and carrot until softened, then stir in the quinoa and cook until lightly toasted and giving off a nutty smell, about 3 minutes. (I could only smell the onions, I never got the "nutty smell")
Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the liquid is fully absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Stir in the pine nuts, raisins, and parsley.
Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment