Monday, January 4, 2010

Squashana

I pulled the classic move of seeing something in the grocery store that I'd never cooked before (not too difficult to find that for me) and took it home with no idea what to do with it. I did this a couple weeks ago with an eggplant and the meal I made does not qualify for my blog. This time it was spaghetti squash. I read that the squash can replace the noodles in lasagna. I've never made homemade lasagna. So I just made this up. Justin liked it alright.

Squashana
From the kitchen of Brooke C Hochstein
  • 1 Spaghetti Squash
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I used Ragu Veggie Delight)
  • 1 bag of cheese
  • 1 lb ground beef
Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scrape out the seeds and guts. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. When finished baking, scrape from stem to stem with a fork to create spaghetti-like strands of squash. While the squash is baking, brown the ground beef. Add the jar of spaghetti sauce to the meat. In a baking dish, spread a layer of squash at the bottom, then add the spaghetti sauce on top. Cover in cheese. Repeat until you run out of room or ingredients. Make sure the top is covered with cheese. Bake in oven at 350 for about half an hour.

Notes:
If you do not want to cut the squash in half before you cook it (because it's really tough to cut it and I may not cut it next time), bake at 350 for at least an hour. Be careful when you cut it, it will be very hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment