Monday, January 4, 2010

Caramel

I tried to be domestic this year again for Christmas and made some turtles. Last year I made this caramel and burned it. I was pregnant and I cried. This year I bought extra of everything because I didn't care how many times I would have to try, I was going to get it right! Luckily it only took one try. And a lot of mess. But it was fun! And yummy~!
This was enough caramel to make about 170 turtles.

Caramel
from the kitchen of Carol R Cheesman
  • 4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 lb. butter
  • 2 c. light corn syrup
  • 2 cans evaporated milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Melt butter, add sugar and corn syrup. When this mixture begins to boil, add milk approx 1/2 cup at a time every 4-5 minutes. You should allow about 1/2 hour to add the 2 cans of milk. Cook at med-fairly high temp, stirring constantly, scraping the sides and bottom of the pan. Cook to 240 degrees or to a firm ball stage in water (when you drop a little in a cup of water, it keeps its shape and doesn't dissolve immediately). Pour into buttered pan for caramel. For turtles place nuts on counter sprayed with cooking spray and pour small amounts of caramel on top while still pourable. After set, pour melted chocolate over the top of the turtles.

Notes: I put the caramel in the squirting containers too soon and my first squirt send the top flying off and left a huge puddle of caramel on my counter. The top melted off. Had to use my extra squirter.

No comments:

Post a Comment